00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

a125678298 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!!

15,756 Views | 279 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-27 22:29:23

At 10/27/13 09:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/27/13 08:23 PM, Slint wrote: Starting Near Dark right now, wish me luck.
Good movie.

Fantastic cinematography, really good plot (the whole don't even know what vampires are deal was good), really well shot.

The only thing that I didn't like was those special effects on the fire on the final scene. That was p bad and turned worse what otherwise would be a feelsy and really great scene.

8/10 though, hands down the best vampire related movie I've seen.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-27 22:53:47

I'm dumb and unoriginal, so I watched Scream 3 today. Clearly not as good as the other two films based on the plot. I guess my luck was bound to run out eventually when it came to this series.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-27 23:37:52

To make up for falling behind I just watched another mst3k episode. Boggy Creek 2 is something something environmental message bigfoot ripoff. If only good movies counted everyone who's watched scream sequels would still be behind. Seriously, that series had no business continuing to exist.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-27 23:45:07

At 10/27/13 11:37 PM, stafffighter wrote: To make up for falling behind I just watched another mst3k episode. Boggy Creek 2 is something something environmental message bigfoot ripoff. If only good movies counted everyone who's watched scream sequels would still be behind. Seriously, that series had no business continuing to exist.

Crenshaw 4 Life.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-27 23:58:49

At 10/27/13 11:45 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
Crenshaw 4 Life.

You already had that picture, didn't you?

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-28 05:26:33

Watched Scary Movie 2 because I'm running out of ideas and movies to watch on Netflix. It was garbage. I thought this one might be alright, but it's clear that after the first film, this franchise was going to just be shitty references and gross out jokes. Not that the first one was devoid of that stuff, but at least it felt coherent...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-28 17:23:48

At 10/27/13 10:53 PM, ZJ wrote: I'm dumb and unoriginal, so I watched Scream 3 today. Clearly not as good as the other two films based on the plot. I guess my luck was bound to run out eventually when it came to this series.

First one is 5/5.

Second one is 3.5/5 but probably actually a 3.

Haven't seen the other two, but I've heard Scream 3 is the worst.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-28 21:32:24

I watched From Beyond. More crazy ass practical effects and puppetry and stuff. Is that more a Yuzna thing or a Gordon thing? After seeing Society, I think maybe Yuzna. I definitely appreciate that kinda thing. The movie itself was alright.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-28 23:32:50

I watched the Amityville remake. It was bad. It just didn't have any tension building. I fault the script for that because Ryan Renolds can act when they let him.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-29 00:14:17

Tonight I watched Deadly Friend, A Wes Craven directed film from 1986.

A teen genius named Paul moves to a new town with his mom, and his home made robot, BB. He becomes friends with Sam, the girl who lives next door to him. When BB is destroyed by an angry neighbor, and Sam is accidentally killed by her abusive father, Paul decides to bring Sam back to life by putting BB's brain chip into Sam's head. It works. Sam comes back as a human with a robot brain, and she's also murderous for some reason.

Lordy, this is one of the fucking stupidest movies I've seen in a while. The entire thing was just absolutely ludicrous. yet the movie seems to be playing it totally straight.

I gotta say though, I kinda enjoyed it. It's bad in the best kind of 80's way.

BB the robot is like Johnny 5 with down syndrome. He's right up there with Paulie's robot from Rocky 4 as one of the dumbest 80's robots. He makes these unexplained gremlins noises, and it's just hilarious. BB is voiced by Charles Fleischer, who did the voice of Roger Rabbit.

Kristy Swanson's performance as a killer robot/human hybrid is good. Most of the time she just kinda has a blank stare.

The greatest scene in the movie is when Mama Fratelli is killed. It's too awesome to describe, so watch for yourself.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-29 18:38:51

I'd be remiss if I didn't post BB's amazing theme song from the end credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9dwVDUHkNQ

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-29 18:54:33

I watched A Warning to the Curious and The Stalls of Barchester.

They're both pretty similar. M.R. James adaptations, so lots of tension and a sense of foreboding, little actually happening until the very end. A Warning to the Curious is definitely the better of the two, but they were both pretty decent. Not amazing, but nice and creepy with a real folk-horror feel, which I really like. Anything that involves disturbing a burial mound and unleashing a vengeful supernatural force is right up my street. Toss in some locals still practising the "old ways" or a history of witchcraft and human sacrifice and I'm sold.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-29 22:33:17

Tonight I watched Tales from the Crypt, from 1972.

This is, of course, is based on the infamous EC comic books.

It's an anthology which adapts 5 stories from the various EC comics titles, and features a wraparound segment to tie it all together.

It's one of my favorite anthology films. Some segments are better than others, but none of them are bad.

My favorites are the third, which features Peter Cushing, and the fifth.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-29 22:37:54

And Peter Cushing looks amazing as a zombie.

You gotta love that eyeless effect.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-29 23:53:26

Watched 1931's Dracula. Slow movie, but I liked it! Had a better story than Bride of Frankenstein!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 00:08:26

At 10/29/13 11:53 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched 1931's Dracula. Slow movie, but I liked it! Had a better story than Bride of Frankenstein!

I'm actually not a huge fan of that movie.

It's the only Universal Monster movie that I think feels dated in a bad way.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 00:50:45

Watched Tales from the hood last night, I liked it. You can find a full version of it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PpfwjzdR0 .

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 15:30:54

After Sinister and Frankenhooker I watched Pet Sematary (1989). I often heard of this movie, but never saw it before. I expected more dead animals, but whatever. It was a cool movie. I like how they incorporated the Ramones. The next day I watched Mother's Day (2010). At first it didn't seem that horrific, but things got pretty sick and twisted after mother arrived at the scene. This story had no winners from what I could tell. Pretty grim! The next day I watched Insidious 2 (2013) in the cinema. I absolutely loved the first one so I had to give part 2 a chance. I was actually kind of skeptic about the concept at first but I think there could not be a more perfect sequel! Plus, I have a feeling the lipstick demon will be back for part 3. Awesome! It wasn't as scary as part 1 though. And then yesterday I watched Night Of The Creeps (1986), which was very enjoyable. It contained alien slugs that invaded the body and left through their exploding heads, so yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 18:12:02

At 10/28/13 05:26 AM, ZJ wrote: Watched Scary Movie 2 because I'm running out of ideas and movies to watch on Netflix.

look! It's a balloon animal! dadada data dadadadadaa!

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 19:43:45

Last night I watched the ninth gate and I do not even know what I saw. Can someone explain that ending to me? Was he going to hell? Was he redeemed? Was she a demon? Were all those green screen affects hilarious on purpose?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 22:58:36

Watched the Host today.

SPOILERS

I really enjoyed this movie, but I hated the ending. The idea that three random people were gonna take down that big scary monster by themselves was pretty silly. Other than that, it had a lot of heart and scares in it. Bravo Korea!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-30 23:23:21

Today I watched Creepshow.

An old favorite.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 14:20:26

Last night I watched Trick Or Treat (1986). I heard Ozzy Osbourne played in this movie, but I hardly even recognized him. I think his appearance was meant to be a joke. Something I especially liked about this movie was witnessing how the protagonist stood up against some jock bullies. Afterwards, I saw a movie from the same year called Chopping Mall (1986), also known as Killbots. It was pretty cheesy. You'd think the victims would look for a way outside!

Tonight I will probably rewatch [REC]3, Grave Encounter or both with a couple of friends. As for unfamiliar movies; I haven't decided on what movie to watch yet. I have a couple of options, so we'll see.

Happy Halloween everyone :)

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 18:27:48

Last night I watched Halloween two. This movie makes a profound statement, it says " Stop crying I didn't give Halloween 3 a fair chance. It's their fault for making a direct sequel first."
Just now I watched the silent classic "The Monster" Lon Chaney as a mad doctor with a soul sucking death chair. If that's not pure Halloween I don't know what is.
Happy Halloween one and all. I think I'm actually gonna give battle royal a watch now.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 18:30:04

watched cinemassacres night of the living dead commentary

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 18:44:37

At 10/31/13 06:30 PM, DeIirium wrote: watched cinemassacres night of the living dead commentary

Was it just James or did Mike join in?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 18:46:15

Powered through a bunch of BBC horror shorts today.

Lost Hearts, The Treasure of Abbot Thomas, The Ash Tree, The Signalman and Stigma.

The first 3 are all solid, the Ash Tree maybe being a touch weaker than the other two, and The Signalman's place as a real classic is well deserved, but Stigma is the one that really surprised me. It's got a reputation as the black sheep of the BBC ghost stories, being neither an adaptation (most come from M.R. James stories) nor a period piece, but it really worked for me.

I think the very idea of it, bleeding with no apparent wound or cause, is terrifying in itself, and the scene where she's first searching for the source of the blood is superb. Masterfully done. Just a woman in a bathroom washing off blood, desperate to find the source and just finding unbroken skin under every patch she cleans, but it works incredibly well.

Even if old low budget BBC stuff isn't usually your thing, give it a go. It's only half an hour long, and it's definitely worth it.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 18:55:50

At 10/31/13 06:44 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 10/31/13 06:30 PM, DeIirium wrote: watched cinemassacres night of the living dead commentary
Was it just James or did Mike join in?

just james, mike wasn't really necessary in this, james knows a lot about the movie and he shared some interesting trivia.
also halloween 3 is good, i think it's almost as good as the first and in some aspects maybe better. i really like the concept of it and the atmosphere. i think the main problem is that it drags too much before they get to the factory.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 19:03:16

At 10/31/13 06:55 PM, DeIirium wrote:

just james, mike wasn't really necessary in this, james knows a lot about the movie and he shared some interesting trivia.

Not that it's needed but commentary is usually more fun with people bouncing off each other. I'll give it a watch

also halloween 3 is good, i think it's almost as good as the first and in some aspects maybe better. i really like the concept of it and the atmosphere. i think the main problem is that it drags too much before they get to the factory.

It's absolutely watchable but I'm just tired of the explanation you get whenever you don't give it four stars. I watched it before I'd watched any of the Halloween series so I didn't have many expectations, but as young as I was the slow pacing did hurt it for me.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-31 19:08:39

Watched some more.

Cloverfield. Pretty good, actually, but TJ Miller's lines were so dumb. I don't know if that was bad improvising, bad writing, or both.

the Hills Have Eyes 2. meh, worked for me considering what kind of movie it is. First one is better, of course.

Reeker and Reeker 2. I watched them in backwards order cuz I read that the second one is more enjoyable if you haven't seen the first. I dunno, cuz I might not have seen the twist of the original coming and that might have changed tye experience. The movies were meh anyway.

I'm rewatching Saw 2 at the moment just cuz it's playing on IFC. They're marathoning 1-6. I've never seen 5-7. I might DVR the movies just cuz why not.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature