00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Itspanzinobro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!!

15,759 Views | 279 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 19:57:38

Today I watched Prison, from 1988.

An abandoned prison is re-opened after thirty years of shutdown. When the sealed off execution chamber is opened, it releases the angry spirit of a wrongfully executed convict. The spirit begins killing cons and guards indiscriminately, but it's true target is the warden who framed him.

This was an early movie from directer Renny Harlin, who would go on to direct movies likes Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger, Deep Blue Sea, and A Nightmare on Elm Street 4.

It also has an early starring role for Viggo Mortensen, who would be rocketed to superstardom by playing Aragon in Lord of the Rings years later.

This movie was pretty good. It has a lot of atmosphere, and most of the characters are great.

There are some problems. There is a female character who feels really superfluous. Another weird thing is that Viggo Mortensen's character is a dead ringer for the man the ghost was. Absolutely nothing is made of this in the movie. Research tells me that he was supposed to be the ghost's son, but this somehow got muddled in the making of the film.

Despite the problems It's worth seeing, I think.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 20:36:38

Anybody watch Toy Story of Terror?

Wasn't too bad.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 23:50:06

Just finished my viewing of 2010's Trollhunter. Good movie. It presented a very interesting world and was a great example of a "found footage" film done right. I'd recommend this one.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 17:25:43

Last night I watched Bloodrayne, the third reich. I am not going to waste energy being clever about this one. It's bad
Just now I watched frankenweenie. Yes it's a kids movie but it's a kids movie about raising the dead, a school I completely believe Tim Burton went to and an attack by Gamera. I can't help but wonder if the giant turtle was chosen because Gamera is the friend of all children. If that was on purpose it's brilliant.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 17:32:03

Oh yeah, my sis had Frankenwee on her DVR. I forgot to watch it when I was at her place.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 17:53:55

I've been watching some Horrors, The Omen, Paranormal 1, Shining, Scream, I need really scary ones, any suggestions guys?

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 18:27:34

At 10/16/13 03:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Dead Alive.

That fucking park scene man. I was fucking crying.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 19:42:56

At 10/17/13 06:27 PM, Slint wrote:

Crazy ass movie, right?

To add to those recs I gave you before, I recently saw the horror/comedy Biozombie on YouTube and thought it was funny and pretty cool. The two main characters put on a very good comedic performance. The main issue I had, though, is that the tone of the movie took a fucking 180 in the last few minutes. Look for it on YouTube.

I dunno if you'd go for Maniac Cop and Maniac Cop 2, but I thought they were fun campy "guilty pleasures". Like the Friday the Thirteenth movies but more badass. It turns into action, though. There's an awesome shootout scene in the second one at a police station. The third one wasn't anywhere near as cool, but it has its moments, like the shootout at the hospital. You can find all three movies on YouTube.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 19:43:16

Just watched 2007's The Signal. I really dug it. It had humor, horror, and a lot of mindfuckery going on it. The story was pretty good and I liked what how the characters reacted to what was presented to them. Solid flick.

Also, this quote:

"I'm gonna grab a slut and I'm just gonna pee in her butt!"

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 23:31:01

Today I watched Silent Scream, from 1980.

Some college students looking for off-campus lodging take rooms in a large old house owned by an elderly woman and her son. Soon a mysterious killer within the house begins killing the students one by one.

This is one of the many slasher films that come out during the early 80's in the wake of Halloween and Friday the 13th.

The film is very atmospheric. The houses dark, cobweb filled corridors give it a great style.

Horror actress Barbara Steele makes her only 1980's film appearance here.

Fans of 80's slashers definitely should check out Silent Scream.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-17 23:40:46

Also, when Silent Scream was released it was a Dog of The Week on Siskel and Ebert's show.

The Dog of The Week was reserved for movies that Siskel and Ebert thought had no redeeming value.

Personally, I'd say any movie that got the Dog of The Week is a must watch.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-18 19:07:53

Why was I not made away the BFI was remastering a ton of stuff for Halloween this October?

They've put out a crazy box set under the name "Ghost Stories for Christmas", which is a bit misleading because while it does have all of the BBC "A Ghost Story For Christmas" episodes it's got a bunch of other TV horror too, mostly more M.R. James adaptations, which made up about 80% of A Ghost Story For Christmas.

They've also done Loving Memory, Sleepwalker, Schalcken the Painter, Gaslight, The Phantom of the Opera. the surviving episodes of Dead of Night, Supernatural and Robin Redbreast.

Shit, I want them all, but I'll make do with the Ghost Stories set and the new Masters of Cinema Nosferatu release for now.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-18 20:24:48

Today I watched The Boneyard, from 1991.

A depressed psychic who is helping the police in a murder case becomes trapped, along with many other people, in a mortuary with 3 zombie like ghoul children who crave their flesh.

I thought this movie was a real hoot. It definitely has a sense of humor, but plays it straight at the same time.

It's the only horror movie I can think of that has an obese, middle aged woman as the main heroine. That was interesting.

The monster effects are really cool. The 3 ghoul children are pretty disturbing and relatively realistic. Then there are zanier monsters, like when the Phyllis Diller character turns into a huge, bug eyed Phyllis Diller ghoul. As seen here.

Phyllis Diller's character has an annoying little Poodle, who transforms into a ghoul, and becomes the final boss monster. The poodle seems to be the most enduring thing about this movie. It's all over the cover. See ghoul poodle in action.

I really liked this movie.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-18 23:15:13

I'm not taking part in this, but at the end of the month, me and my dad will watch John Carpenter's The Thing and Halloween.

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick

Check out my Reddit, dudes.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-18 23:39:47

Watched the 1925 film version of The Phantom of the Opera today. Found it boring and slow. Didn't really enjoy it. Oh well, I guess you'll have misses on certain days...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 00:12:59

some stuff i watched:
halloween 2 and friday the 13th 2, both pretty solid slasher films, not much else to say.
just before dawn - a redneck/backwoods slasher, wasn't very good, could have potentially been decent but fails to build up tension.
clownhouse - a bunch of mental patients dressed up as clowns go after 3 kids. bit too tame for my liking, kind of like something you'd see in tales from the crypt.
the new york ripper - a giallo/slasher about a serial killer who does a donald duck/mickey mouse voice. it was very sleazy and had some cool murder scenes.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 00:17:41

At 10/19/13 12:12 AM, DeIirium wrote:

clownhouse - a bunch of mental patients dressed up as clowns go after 3 kids. bit too tame for my liking, kind of like something you'd see in tales from the crypt.

One of the kids in that movie got raped by the director.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 09:58:50

It's kind of a drag with how R-rated movies are edited on TV. I usually don't watch them because I want to get the "full" experience of a movie. Yeah, I know PG-13 rated movies are edited too, but not as much. That's why most of the time I just watch R-rated movies on Knology. I did however see a TV version of "Goodfellas" because I was just fascinated to see how they could edit that.

Oh, and I also saw Friday the 13th Part VIII on TV. Stupid movie, * out of ****.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 14:20:51

hah New York Ripper. So goofy.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 18:38:53

Three days ago I watched Nightbreed (1990). I liked the masked killer but the community of disfigurements I didn't care much for. The following day I watched The Midnight Hour (1985), which had a great atmosphere and fun characters. I think I fell in love with this movie. Then, yesterday I saw Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988), which I actually meant to watch last year. I hoped for the clowns to be scarier, but I had some good laughs. And then today I watched Ginger Snaps 3: Ginger Snaps Back (2004). I love the atmosphere of the series, but I feel like they shouldn't have touched it since part one. You can tell they've been struggling to create new concepts that'll never be as good as the original. They feel insignificant in comparison. I still very much enjoyed it.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 18:50:15

At 10/17/13 07:42 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/17/13 06:27 PM, Slint wrote:
Crazy ass movie, right?

It was really good.

To add to those recs I gave you before, I recently saw the horror/comedy Biozombie on YouTube and thought it was funny and pretty cool. The two main characters put on a very good comedic performance. The main issue I had, though, is that the tone of the movie took a fucking 180 in the last few minutes. Look for it on YouTube.

I dunno if you'd go for Maniac Cop and Maniac Cop 2, but I thought they were fun campy "guilty pleasures". Like the Friday the Thirteenth movies but more badass. It turns into action, though. There's an awesome shootout scene in the second one at a police station. The third one wasn't anywhere near as cool, but it has its moments, like the shootout at the hospital. You can find all three movies on YouTube.

Will look for those, thanks mang. Will try to find them outside youtube though, since I always download them in high quality, never less than 720p. Might be hard with not so well known ones, but I'll try.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 18:54:10

Also watched Kill List, which was good, fantastically filmed in the last act, but pretty flawed.

And eXistenZ, which was also good, had a good pace, good concept, nice special effects, and Cronenberg made the coolest gun ever. Too many twists and turns for its own good, though.

Both 3/5.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 19:18:50

Finished watching John Dies at the End. Weird movie with a twisted plot, but I really enjoyed it.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 22:08:59

just watched the friday the 13th remake. Insert everything a fan of the origional series would say here.
There were things I liked. I liked that the cop,who didn1t end up making much of a difference, wasen't played as ignorant or stupid. Idid like that in Clay and his sister there were people you could root for. But why would Jason have taken her captive anyway? I get they set up that she looked like his mom, but she was an older woman in that flashback. If he was still a kid when she died (fanboy rant here) then he would have only known that version of her.
Then in the end when they dump Jason into the lake. That body is evidence in a whole bunch of murders, including that of a police officer. Why would you dump.... oh, jump scare.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 23:10:13

At 10/19/13 07:18 PM, ZJ wrote: Finished watching John Dies at the End. Weird movie with a twisted plot, but I really enjoyed it.

Haha. That movie was awesome. It would be cool if the same people adapted This Book is Full of Spiders.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 23:39:32

Nothing new today. Tonight I watched The Exorcist.

One of the greats.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-19 23:50:16

At 10/19/13 10:08 PM, stafffighter wrote: just watched the friday the 13th remake.

I like that movie.

I don't understand why some fans of the franchise call it a disgrace. Come on. It's just as brainless as any other Friday the 13Th movie.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-20 00:13:40

At 10/19/13 11:50 PM, Darthdenim wrote:

I don't understand why some fans of the franchise call it a disgrace. Come on. It's just as brainless as any other Friday the 13Th movie.

i'm not complaining about any of the factors that make it common to a slasher flick. The douche cannon fodder, the improbable sneaking behind them, the engaging in a fight with the last guy after a series of one shot kills. That's all good.
It may not seem like it but Jason does have a character. I touched on the changes they made there. he's not an elaborate trapper who takes captives who look like what his mother did many years before he was born.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-20 22:48:52

Just finished watching 2009's Pontypool. Great movie with a really inventive premise. I like how it was shot and the setting they used in it. This might be my favorite film that I've seen this month. Can't say enough good things about this one.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-21 20:15:27

Today I watched Exorcist 3.

Lieutenant Kinderman is investigating a serious of bizarre murders that seem to match the modus operandi of an executed serial killer. Kinderman soon learns that these killings have a strange connection to the night of Regan Macneil's exorcism, and the death of Father Karras.

This is a much more official follow up to the original Exorcist than 2 was. It's based on William Peter Blatty's written sequel to his original Exorcist novel, Legion. Blatty also directs.

I thought this was damn good. This movie had amazing atmosphere. George C. Scott is great, as usual. The real show stealer is Brad Dourif. When Dourif's character starts up, he's damn near mesmerizing.

There are a few problems however. There is an exorcism scene that comes out of nowhere near the end. This was because the studio demanded that an exorcism scene be in the movie.

It's also strange that Kinderman claims that Karras was his "best friend". What? They barely knew each other. Karras didn't even want to go to the movies with him.

Despite these things, this is a superior horror movie. I highly recommend it.