00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MadManOnMeds just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!!

15,763 Views | 279 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-05 22:41:47

Just finished watching Rosemary's Baby. Very weird film. Wasn't scary as much as it was surreal and creepy.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-05 22:54:49

At 10/5/13 09:54 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Today I watched American Psycho (2000). Good movie, but technically not a real horror flick, so I watched Hostel (2005) afterwards. The ending was the most satisfying thing ever.

I think American Psycho more than qualifies. Don't let the "psychological thriller" label scare you off. That were was coined by people who thought they were too smart to watch a horror movie. Take Silence of the Lambs for example. It's a very smart movie, deep characters, story with layers, but fuck yes it is a horror movie.

Another example is the movie I watched mast night. My number 5 "The skin I live in" There aren't a lot of outward scares but when you take a step back and really think about what's happening in that movie it is absolutely horrific. That's my number 5 by the way. Number 4 was stake land, a serviceable small scale vampire film.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-05 22:59:26

american psycho isn't a horror film nor is it a psychological thriller, it's a black comedy and social satire. i mean look at this

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-05 23:09:12

At 10/5/13 10:59 PM, DeIirium wrote: american psycho isn't a horror film nor is it a psychological thriller, it's a black comedy and social satire. i mean look at this

Comedy and horror can exist within the same movie and you have to be pretty up there in pretense to think that just because he's gleefully murdering people in context to something that takes away from what's happening.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-05 23:25:47

At 10/5/13 11:09 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 10/5/13 10:59 PM, DeIirium wrote: american psycho isn't a horror film nor is it a psychological thriller, it's a black comedy and social satire. i mean look at this
Comedy and horror can exist within the same movie and you have to be pretty up there in pretense to think that just because he's gleefully murdering people in context to something that takes away from what's happening.

i can't think of any parts in the movie which felt like they were even trying to be scary other than the one where he's chasing that girl. i dont think its horror just because it has lots of people getting murdered.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-05 23:51:11

Stakeland, eh? Pretty good. Definitely underrated. And Rosemary's Baby was quite a movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 02:33:52

Probably not going to do it everyday but I did watch the old ass Dantes Inferno 1911 version.

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 03:00:47

Just watched Maniac Cop 1 and 2 back to back. Pretty crazy shit.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 09:49:06

I watched "Scream" last night, which I think counts as a horror movie and it's probably one of the most popular that I have never seen before. I can't seem to find any listings for a lot of horror movies. I saw a montage of all the deaths in Friday the 13ths, so I could actually watch all the edited versions of the movies on TV and still see most of it.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 10:06:40

At 10/6/13 09:49 AM, Ericho wrote: I watched "Scream" last night, which I think counts as a horror movie and it's probably one of the most popular that I have never seen before.

That was my first horror movie.

I can't seem to find any listings for a lot of horror movies. I saw a montage of all the deaths in Friday the 13ths, so I could actually watch all the edited versions of the movies on TV and still see most of it.

Haha the Friday the 13th movies are full of unintentional comedy.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 11:12:05

At 10/5/13 10:02 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Come on. Taking the Hellraiser series into space? Blech.

Hahaha I must say that lightshow at the end was pretty gay, now that you mention it.

At 10/5/13 10:54 PM, stafffighter wrote: I think American Psycho more than qualifies. Don't let the "psychological thriller" label scare you off. That were was coined by people who thought they were too smart to watch a horror movie.

I guess you're right, its content was pretty horrific after all. Stake land is pretty cool too, that movie was on my watchlist last year. The plot summary of The skin I live In sounds much like Les Yeux Sans Visage. Is it similar?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 11:52:27

I pretty much agree with Delirium. I don't think American Psycho is a horror.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 13:40:58

Today I watched The Lurking Fear, from Full Moon Pictures.

This is a loose adaption of an H.P. Lovecraft story.

It's not very good, honestly. It's full of bad acting, terrible dialogue, and crap effects.

It stars genre favorites Ashley Laurence and Jeffrey Combs, who give far from their best performances.

If you want to see a good loose Lovecraft adaption that stars Jeffery Combs from Full Moon Pictures, watch Castle Freak. It's a lot better than this.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 13:52:25

I watched Deranged last night, which is probably the most accurate Ed Gein-inspired film.Sticks closer to the actual case than the likes of Texas Chainsaw or Psycho. I liked it, it's not masterpiece or anything, and might be a bit tame in the gore department compared to some, but it's got a strong lead and what gore there is looks great.

Also, does anyone have any decent Folk Horror recommendations? It's a pretty vaguely defined genre, but most of my favourites fall in to it. Usually English, and deal with cults/devil worship/hauntings and "ancient evil" type stuff. Think The Wicker Man, or The Stone Tape, or The Devil Rides Out, or Quatermass and the Pit. Stuff like that.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 14:04:02

At 10/6/13 01:52 PM, TheMaster wrote:

Also, does anyone have any decent Folk Horror recommendations? It's a pretty vaguely defined genre, but most of my favourites fall in to it. Usually English, and deal with cults/devil worship/hauntings and "ancient evil" type stuff. Think The Wicker Man, or The Stone Tape, or The Devil Rides Out, or Quatermass and the Pit. Stuff like that.

Have you seen Race with the Devil and Prime Evil?

Race with the Devil is good, but I wouldn't recommend Prime Evil unless you're really into that subgenre.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 14:21:25

I'm not doing this but I am watching a lot of movies this year: http://www.thepoxbox.com/challenges.php?id=listyear#link1

And I did watch The Thing this month haha. It was alright.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 15:12:04

I;M BEHIND! To netflix!

Last year, I think I completed every horror film on netflix. Here's too hoping they updated it.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 19:10:09

Alright, to catch up for the next two weeks, I'll be watching two horror movies a day.

Today, I started it off with People Under the Stairs by Wes Craven. It was a total blackoplitation horror comedy, that accomplished it's goal. Pretty good movie if you;re looking for a quirky horror movie. The characters, and especially the main child star, are a complete throw back to the early 90's.

Next, I followed up with this zombie movie, State of Emergency; which had to be the slowest paced and worst zombie movie I've seen ever. The characters are bland as hell, the sound effects/gunplay is complete film amateur (guy shoots a gun, flash appears 5 seconds later, and 10 seconds after that the sound pops up) and the whole film looks like it needs to be white balanced.

The worst part of the movie though, is that you see FIVE ZOMBIES. The atmosphere isn't even good enough to warrant seeing that little amount of zombies, and the cast basically knows their getting rescued and doesn't deal with a major problem at all. The worst problem they deal with is fighting ONE zombie while their all armed to the teeth. The AWFUL acting made this film even worse. It's basically "WHITE PEOPLE PROBLEMS, THE MOVIE

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 20:02:09

that depends bro whats the prize

Smoke. Sleep. Life. "Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit" - Your peaceful dude PotHeadParadise

Peace And Love For A Better World

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 20:06:36

Just watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. I liked it a lot. It's funny and does a great job of making fun of horror movies that feature crazed rednecks.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 23:03:54

At 10/6/13 08:06 PM, ZJ wrote: Just watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. I liked it a lot. It's funny and does a great job of making fun of horror movies that feature crazed rednecks.

Tucker vs Dale was hilarious and an overall great movie.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-06 23:29:58

all i saw was begotten like two or three weeks ago. for the most part, i liked it. common complaint being that more than half of it should have been cut cause i was fighting sleep in the middle of it

should watch the fly again or go see psycho for the first time when they play it at the lagoon in the uptown area like they do every year even though i feel it's been spoiled for me at this point

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 00:15:53

At 10/6/13 11:12 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
I guess you're right, its content was pretty horrific after all. Stake land is pretty cool too, that movie was on my watchlist last year. The plot summary of The skin I live In sounds much like Les Yeux Sans Visage. Is it similar?

It's about a surgeon who abducts the guy who raped his daughter, forces a sex change on him, gives him a face identical to his dead wife and then falls in love with him. So if that's what the other thing is about, yes. Very atmospheric and told non-graphically enough that like I said before it doesn't really occur to you right off the bat that this is horror. Cleverly done.
And today's was Chernobyl diaries. I honestly can't remember if I've seen this or one of the many, many movies exactly like this. Did not care about a single character enough to be moved when they died. But the location shots were cool. You really can go on tours there.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 00:31:28

I forgot about this until the thread was made. Should I start late? I have a B-Movie Horror collection sitting around my basement waiting for me.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 00:46:14

At 10/7/13 12:31 AM, J-Rex wrote: I forgot about this until the thread was made. Should I start late? I have a B-Movie Horror collection sitting around my basement waiting for me.

Sure.

You don't really have to watch a movie every day.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 16:26:23

Week 1 progress report. Not as much horror as I'd have liked, but I'm working on it. Got The Fall of the House of Usher ready to watch, but after that I'm going to have to acquire some more.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 16:44:36

At 10/6/13 11:12 AM, Whirlguy wrote:

I didn't think of this until after I logged off last night. I do remember years ago seeing listings for a movie with this premise.
The weird thing is that the summery for this movie was just that he had a human guinea pig for his artificial skin experiments. No mention of the raping or gender bending.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 17:00:28

At 10/7/13 04:26 PM, TheMaster wrote: Waltz With Bashir

sending you a letterboxd request right now, that film is incredible

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 18:10:43

Today I watched The Pit and the Pendulum, from Full Moon.

I enjoyed this movie. One of the best Full Moon productions I've seen yet.

Good direction from Stuart Gordon, and a good musical score.

Lance Henriksen is great as the villain, and there a lot of other familiar faces in the cast. Including Jeffery Combs, Tom Towels, Oliver Reed, and Mark Margolis.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-07 19:53:01

At 10/7/13 12:15 AM, stafffighter wrote: It's about a surgeon who abducts the guy who raped his daughter, forces a sex change on him, gives him a face identical to his dead wife and then falls in love with him. So if that's what the other thing is about, yes.

That sounds quite different haha. Les Yeux Sans Visage is about a doctor whose attempt to fix his daughter's disfigured face has him kidnaps young girls in order to perform face-transplants.

The weird thing is that the summery for this movie was just that he had a human guinea pig for his artificial skin experiments. No mention of the raping or gender bending.

Which movie summary is that?

And today's was Chernobyl diaries.

I agree, that's very cool about Chernobyl Diaries. I myself watched Final Destination (2000) tonight. The second part of the series was the only one I had seen before.

BBS Signature