00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lazyliving456 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!!

15,764 Views | 279 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 09:46:10

I am finally able to say that I saw "Freddy Vs. Jason" last night. I will say that the movie was okay, with **1/2 stars out of ****. I think its main problem was that it had Freddy only get one kill, but he was presented as being more evil than Jason who got over a DOZEN. Now, I will admit that was itself handled well, but it was mostly okay.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 13:21:02

Finaly I can post in this fine thread.

I've failed the one film per day, but I'm still going for the at least 31 horror films challenge this month.

Here's what I've watched so far:

http://letterboxd.com/fakesugartrain/list/halloween-2013/

Open to suggestions.

Also for today I might watch Altered States and My Bloody Valentine.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 13:40:58

Today I watched Konga, from 1961.

While spending a year in Africa, a botany professor discovers a serum that can make living things grow large, through some mumbo jumbo about carnivorous plants. He gives the serum to his pet Chimpanzee, Konga. The Professor is soon driven mad with power, and uses the now large Konga to kill his enemies and anybody who stands in his way.

This movie was absolute schlock, but damn if it wasn't entertaining.

The ape suit looks so ridiculous, and causes lots of probably unintended chuckles.

Another thing I liked was how Konga starts out life as a chimpanzee, but when he grows he becomes a gorilla. This of course is never called attention to.

A pretty good schlock-fest.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 13:52:34

Konga also had his own comic book at one time.

What the hell is going on? Is he chasing Hitler?

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 13:57:26

At 10/13/13 01:52 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Konga also had his own comic book at one time.

What the hell is going on? Is he chasing Hitler?

It was the silver age. In one comic Godzilla fought cowboys.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 23:07:55

Watched Creepshow 2 tonight. Nowhere near as good as the original, but I still kinda liked it. It had its own goofy charm to it. Any of you bros see it? Thoughts?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-13 23:28:26

I watched the season premiere of walking dead. I know it's not a movie but I've counted the season premiere ever since the shows 2 hour debut episode. It looks like that could eb taking the show interesting places this year.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-14 19:54:37

Watched 2012's The Grey today. Incredibly badass movie. Nothing more horrifying than being trapped in the wilderness with deadly animals. I'm in love with this flick. Highly recommend it.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-14 23:31:12

I just watched the last lovecraft. It's a horror/comedy about the last decedent of h.p lovecraft (I know he didn't have any, they bring that up) who has to save the world. This thing wanted to be a 90's movie so bad. but not in the like ironic love letter way movies are doing now. This Was the adventure of white guy with a goatee who swears a lot with his sidekick the white guy with a goatee who swears a lot. The fact that they did the "you do it, you're the chosen one." joke like three times is the only way I could tell them apart. Also, half the movie takes place in a sea captains rv. Nothing quite says "we blew the budget on cg" like spending half your movie in one cramped location.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-15 19:11:43

Today I watched Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell. A made-for-tv movie from 1978.

A satanic cult performs a ritual on a breeding dog, which causes her to give birth to a litter of satanic pups. One of the pups is adopted by a suburban family. Over time the dog's evil influence takes hold on the family members. All except the father, who is the only one who can stop the devil dog.

This was an entertaining flick. It's pretty cheesy sometimes. There are cliches to be found. Like the wise, old, religious latina housekeeper who knows immediately that the dog is evil. There are lots of shots where the dog is supposed to be ominous, but it doesn't really work. He just looks like an ordinary dog. It's especially stupid in the beginning, when they try and make the adorable puppy look threatening.

The dog appears in his true demon form a couple times, and it's really goofy looking.

All in all, it's a good made for tv flick. It has decent production values. In this age of SYFY original movies, you'll wish you could see more made for tv horror movies like this.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-15 19:15:16

R.G. Armstrong plays the cultist who gives the family the devil dog. That was pretty cool.

He also played a devil cultist in Race with the Devil.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-15 20:54:53

Here's some of the movies I've been watching since last time:
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), which was pretty fucking boring, though it had a nice atmosphere about it. And [REC]3 - Genesis (2012) I think is the most badass addition to the [REC] series so far. I highly recommend it. The intro made for a wonderful setting that had me hoping nothing bad would happen to anyone, but alas. When things go awry, the movie continues without the first-person camera perspective. This was typical, but not harmful to the series. I forgive them. Thir13en Ghosts (2001) was about a very cool clockwork house. Unfortunately it also contained horrible acting and unlikeable characters. Why didn't they just all die? And Scanners (1981) was spectacular in its own way, with a very interesting story, although I was hoping for more gore.

And then today:
I really enjoyed Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988). It's probably my favorite in the series so far. And then Grave Encounters 2 (2012) was an awesome sequal to the original movie. Part 1 had a pretty straightforward storyline, but the sequal picked it up from there. At first it seemed like it was gonna be the same old shit with different people, but somehow a link is made between both movies, which made for a very interesting concept. I think I'm a fan of the series now. Needless to say I shat my pants.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-15 22:33:59

Just finished watching Let the Right One In. I read a lot of things about it and how it was great, but I just wasn't feeling it. That's not to say it was a bad movie, but I'm not sure I understand all of the glorification it got. Good flick, but far from being one of my favorites.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-15 22:56:45

The problem with Bram Stoker's Dracula was Keanu Reeves. Other than that, it was good. Scanners? Not a horror or even Halloween-appropriate, but a good movie. And yeah, Thirteen Ghosts was crap. Tony Shalhoub is good, but yeah.

At 10/13/13 01:21 PM, Slint wrote: Open to suggestions.

I'll give you three underrated movies that nobody seems to acknowledge.

the Deaths of Ian Stone
Heartless
the Revenant

Altered States

trippy freakin' movie.

At 10/15/13 10:33 PM, ZJ wrote: Just finished watching Let the Right One In. I read a lot of things about it and how it was great, but I just wasn't feeling it. That's not to say it was a bad movie, but I'm not sure I understand all of the glorification it got. Good flick, but far from being one of my favorites.

I thought that movie was thrilling as hell. And the climctic scene at the pool? God damn. I can't identify with how you view this one. I thought it was a hell of a movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-15 23:12:10

At 10/15/13 10:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: The problem with Bram Stoker's Dracula was Keanu Reeves. Other than that, it as good.

Yes. Reeves gave a bad performance for the ages in that.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 09:36:50

At 10/15/13 10:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Scanners? Not a horror or even Halloween-appropriate, but a good movie.

I'm sorry, what?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 12:27:27

At 10/15/13 10:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: The problem with Bram Stoker's Dracula was Keanu Reeves. Other than that, it was good. Scanners? Not a horror or even Halloween-appropriate, but a good movie. And yeah, Thirteen Ghosts was crap. Tony Shalhoub is good, but yeah.

This man speaks the truth, I've seen clips on youtube with Reeves' performance and that's what's putting me off about the film. And I generally like him.

Aww sheeeiiit don't tell me Scanners isn't horror I was planning on watching it on this month's erryday is horror day.

At 10/13/13 01:21 PM, Slint wrote: Open to suggestions.
I'll give you three underrated movies that nobody seems to acknowledge.

the Deaths of Ian Stone
Heartless
the Revenant

Never seen those, will check out.

Altered States
trippy freakin' movie.

It was. Really good, too.

At 10/15/13 10:33 PM, ZJ wrote: Just finished watching Let the Right One In. I read a lot of things about it and how it was great, but I just wasn't feeling it. That's not to say it was a bad movie, but I'm not sure I understand all of the glorification it got. Good flick, but far from being one of my favorites.
I thought that movie was thrilling as hell. And the climctic scene at the pool? God damn. I can't identify with how you view this one. I thought it was a hell of a movie.

I'm with Sense on this one. It's a fantastic modern take on vampires and more of a romance or drama than horror. Not to say the last scene wasn't chilling.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 12:32:26

Also here's tonight's options:

Predator 2

House on Haunted Hill

The Vanishing

The Haunting

Trick r Treat

Cloverfield

Kill List

eXistenZ

Cube

Dead Alive

Bram Stocker's Dracula

Which one, NG?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 15:39:27

At 10/16/13 12:32 PM, Slint wrote: Also here's tonight's options:

Predator 2

House on Haunted Hill

The Vanishing

The Haunting

Trick r Treat

Cloverfield

Kill List

eXistenZ

Cube

Dead Alive

Bram Stocker's Dracula

Which one, NG?

Trick 'r Treat or Dead Alive.

Predator 2 is a sci fi thriller, not a horror. Existenz could not be farther from horror. Vanishing is a thriller.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 17:02:38

At 10/16/13 03:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Trick 'r Treat or Dead Alive.

Errybody recommends these, I guess I'll go with Dead Alive, thanks.

Predator 2 is a sci fi thriller, not a horror. Existenz could not be farther from horror. Vanishing is a thriller.

They're labeled as horror as well, that's why I put them there. And I feel they sort of "count" as horror, they're appropriate for halloween. Just like what I said about Let the Right One In and all.

But isn't eXistenZ body horror? Gun made of bones etc? I mean, it IS Cronenberg, so it's hard to believe it isn't body horror.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 17:31:46

At 10/16/13 05:02 PM, Slint wrote: Errybody recommends these, I guess I'll go with Dead Alive, thanks.

They're both very enjoyable.

They're labeled as horror as well, that's why I put them there. And I feel they sort of "count" as horror, they're appropriate for halloween.

I guess. I mean, I wouldn't call the Deaths of Ian Stone horror, but it definitely fits the season, which is why I recommended it.

But isn't eXistenZ body horror? Gun made of bones etc? I mean, it IS Cronenberg, so it's hard to believe it isn't body horror.

hmm. Maybe.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 17:40:41

Lat night I watched Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer. A fairly generic "regular guy saves the day" flick in that vein that followed shaun of the dead. Nothing much happens until the last act but Robert Englund has a supporting role and that guy is watchable in anything. He just seems to be the nicest guy this side of Tom Hanks.

Also, I agree, Dead Alive.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 17:49:09

At 10/16/13 05:40 PM, stafffighter wrote: Last night I watched Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer.

That movie had awesome special effects. No cgi monster crap.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 17:50:44

At 10/16/13 05:49 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 10/16/13 05:40 PM, stafffighter wrote: Last night I watched Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer.
That movie had awesome special effects. No cgi monster crap.

The effects were good. But after an hour of just watching a plumber deal with his anger issues they had a lot to make up for.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 18:25:49

So I got distratced by the new Pokemon games and by the recovery of those two Doctor Who serials, but I'm going to try and get back into some horror.

Gave The Legend of Boggy Creek a rewatch. It's objectively a bad film with shockingly bad acting, laughable effects and even some baffling musical segments where they cut to shots of nature while some guy sings about Bigfoot, presumably to fill in time, but there's something about the setting and the general look of the film that really works for me.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 18:29:37

So this afternoon I watched Cloverfield, FINALLY.

Enjoyable all around, nice camerawork changing between tape recordings and all that.

Solid acting, not really many cheap jump scares, all around tense atmosphere, which was good.

Liked the monster, too, even though I didn't find it scary or creepy or anything, it had a pretty decent design.
Oh and CGI yadda yadda etc.

Overall decent movie, 3/5.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 18:33:45

I watched Bio-Zombie, which was awesome and hilarious, bt the ending was way wrong for the tone the movie had established.

I also watched the new Evil Dead movie which was actually really good.

And I watched Jason Goes to Hell: the Final Friday. I had already seen the other 8 movies before it years ago. Those movies are loaded with unintentional comedy. This one was just as dumb, but was also just weird. And Freddy Krueger at the end? That was unexpected...

I re-watched Heartless. I forgot how much of a fucking bummer that movie is. Good movie, but what a downer.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 18:37:40

At 10/16/13 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:

And I watched Jason Goes to Hell: the Final Friday. I had already seen the other 8 movies before it years ago. Those movies are loaded with unintentional comedy. This one was just as dumb, but was also just weird. And Freddy Krueger at the end? That was unexpected...

Yeah. They were planning a Freddy vs. Jason movie a long time before it happened. it was a rights issue. Also, something i forgot is that in the Jack Brooks movie I watched Robert Englund (freddy) got possessed by eating an evil heart. That seemed like a bit of a nod to Jason Goes to Hell. But he was not in that movie. The gloved hand was Kane Hodder, making him the one man who's played both characters.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 19:41:56

Gave The Legend of Boggy Creek a rewatch. It's objectively a bad film with shockingly bad acting, laughable effects and even some baffling musical segments where they cut to shots of nature while some guy sings about Bigfoot, presumably to fill in time, but there's something about the setting and the general look of the film that really works for me.

It is oddly compelling.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-16 19:53:42

Horror movies are dumb. Cabin in the woods was the only good one.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature