00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MadManOnMeds just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!!

15,762 Views | 279 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-21 20:44:25

Ugh,unfortunately work piled up and I've been unable to watch horror movies for about a week. This week though, I'm going to try to watch at least 2+ a day.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-21 21:09:52

Texas Chainsaw 3D.

A Shakespearean masterpiece which gives an always relevant, sometimes humorous opinion on the human condition and the folly of man.

Protect the Muska.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-21 22:50:21

At 10/21/13 09:09 PM, Grotty wrote: Texas Chainsaw 3D.

A Shakespearean masterpiece which gives an always relevant, sometimes humorous opinion on the human condition and the folly of man.

It's also about how Leatherface is the hero Texas deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-21 23:58:28

Finished up 1959's House on Haunted Hill. It was a bit hokey, but I liked it. Guess times were just different then.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 00:02:45

At 10/21/13 11:58 PM, ZJ wrote: Finished up 1959's House on Haunted Hill. It was a bit hokey, but I liked it. Guess times were just different then.

Love that movie.

My grandpa said he thought it was really scary back in the day. Especially the scene where the hanged girl is floating outside the window.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 00:11:33

Anybody else notice that every time AMC plays the original Halloween they speed up the film in many parts?

I fucking hate that. Play the film right.

Are they rushing to keep it in a two hour timeframe?

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 00:17:36

At 10/22/13 12:02 AM, Darthdenim wrote:
My grandpa said he thought it was really scary back in the day. Especially the scene where the hanged girl is floating outside the window.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. If you showed a super violent or scary movie to an audience in 1959, they'd probably flip out and try to have it banned. I guess the viewing audiences had to ease into the films we have today.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 14:15:19

Just finished watching 1994's The Crow. Pretty interesting movie. Wasn't that scary, but it told a neat story with some badass visuals. Easy to see why Netflix calls this a "Halloween Classic"

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 14:43:06

At 10/22/13 02:15 PM, ZJ wrote: Just finished watching 1994's The Crow. Pretty interesting movie. Wasn't that scary, but it told a neat story with some badass visuals. Easy to see why Netflix calls this a "Halloween Classic"

one of the best in the "revenge" genre. it's very dark but it's also beautiful in a way- it's unfortunate what happened to to Brandon Lee. he could have gone on to create many more great films.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 14:44:32

At 10/21/13 11:58 PM, ZJ wrote: Finished up 1959's House on Haunted Hill. It was a bit hokey, but I liked it. Guess times were just different then.

Can you link me to this in good quality?

I got it once and was going to watch it until I realized it was depths below 720p or 1080p so I gave up.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 14:49:04

i thought that film was made tongue in cheek. even though it was 1959, there were films made at the same time period and much earlier which can still be taken seriously as horror films. that skeleton would have been goofy even in the 20's.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 14:57:18

At 10/22/13 12:02 AM, Darthdenim wrote: My grandpa said he thought it was really scary back in the day. Especially the scene where the hanged girl is floating outside the window.

Fucking spoilers man what the fuck.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 19:47:36

I rewatched a Nightmare on Elm Street. The first time I saw it, I dismissed it as being a hokey cartoonish turd, but I actually see it differently now. It was actually pretty good. The ending, though, is like...wut. Was that while scene a dream? Did he manage to use his powers in the real world? What happened? And if it's in somebody's dream, why is everybody in it, and who is the one dreaming? Is only the person having the dream doomed or everyone else as well? But yeah, it had its share of cheese, but it's decent for what it is. And the scene near the beginning when the chick is pulled up to the ceiling is actually kinda freaky. It's laughable how much Freddy struggles to take on a teenage girl, though. The scene where the chick pulls him into the real world and they tumble on her bed and on the floor is just sad. That pussy should have stuck to just killing children.

Anyway, I plan on watching most of the sequels online. I couldn't find the Dream Child, but I found all the rest online. I can just watch them on my phone.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 20:14:03

fell a little behind. caught up. here's the last few days.

19. The collector: I've always enjoyed the noble thief archetype and this was done well. Recommended.
20. The village: Probably could have enjoyed this more if everyone on earth didn't know the twist. But the atmosphere was good.
21. Toolbox murders remake: From what i read on wiki this has nothing to do with the movie it's a remake of. It was confused, tried to be way more clever than it was and everyone had that special kind of bad acting. It was that over enunciated ac-TOR speak you see more in drama than horror.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 20:19:01

At 10/22/13 02:15 PM, ZJ wrote: Just finished watching 1994's The Crow. Pretty interesting movie. Wasn't that scary, but it told a neat story with some badass visuals. Easy to see why Netflix calls this a "Halloween Classic"

Not even remotely horror, but awesome. One of the best comic book adaptations ever. And the soundtrack is awesome. The best thing that difector has done, though, is Dark City (director's cut ONLY).

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 21:20:33

At 10/22/13 02:49 PM, DeIirium wrote:
i thought that film was made tongue in cheek. even though it was 1959, there were films made at the same time period and much earlier which can still be taken seriously as horror films. that skeleton would have been goofy even in the 20's.

Yeah. William Castle's films were considered hokey even back when they were released. A lot of that also has to do with his love of gimmicks.

At showings of House on Haunted Hill, theaters would have a skeleton on a string fly over the heads of audiences during certain scenes. Not very scary. I hear that people liked to throw popcorn at it.

It's funny, because William Castle was the producer on Rosemary's Baby. Which is considered one of the all time great horror movies.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-22 21:36:06

I totally forgot to mention that I watched Midnight Meat Train. meh. I dunno why those creatures are being appeased and shit and why they haven't been discovered and slaughtered by fucking NATO or something. Also, it was way too predictable. It felt like the audience was supposed to be surprised. Maybe that wasn't really their intention. You know really really early on what's gonna happen in the end. It delivered on the violence, though. I actually chuckled when Vinnie Jones smacked that Asian chick with the meat tenderizer near the beginning of the movie and her head practically fucking spun around.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-23 00:44:37

Today I watched Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist.

There was a lot of executive meddling in the production of this film, and the result is two different versions of the same movie.

Exorcist: The Beginning is the final theatrical version, and Dominion is more of what the film was originally supposed to be. Dominion is considered to be the better version.

The plot is about Father Merrin's time in Africa, and his first encounter with the demon, Pazuzu.

This movie was....ok. I don't feel very strongly one way or the other about this movie. It just is.

I think the movie may have been better if all the behind the scenes drama didn't happen. The movie feels like a patchwork of sorts.

There are some laughably bad cgi animals in this movie. That's probably another result of the production drama.

One point that really bothered me was Pazuzu himself. He seemed...off. He didn't really seem like the same entity from the original Exorcist. He was also much more powerful than he was in the Exorcist, for no discernible reason.

Basically it's a "meh" film.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-23 03:08:16

Another thing about Dominion that just came to me.

In the Exorcist, somebody said that the exorcism in Africa "supposedly lasted month."

In Dominion, Merrin exercises the demon in just a few minutes.

Hmmmm.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-23 23:48:10

Just finished 1985's The Stuff. Corny as Hell, but I really liked it based on the story. The commercials they made for the fictional product within the movie are awesome. Easy to understand why this is a cult classic. Highly recommended if you're into campy horror flicks!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-23 23:51:48

At 10/23/13 11:48 PM, ZJ wrote: Just finished 1985's The Stuff. Corny as Hell, but I really liked it based on the story. The commercials they made for the fictional product within the movie are awesome. Easy to understand why this is a cult classic. Highly recommended if you're into campy horror flicks!

I was trying to find a stream of that before.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-23 23:54:21

At 10/23/13 11:48 PM, ZJ wrote: Just finished 1985's The Stuff. Corny as Hell, but I really liked it based on the story. The commercials they made for the fictional product within the movie are awesome. Easy to understand why this is a cult classic. Highly recommended if you're into campy horror flicks!

I love that Paul Sorvino is in The Stuff. He seems so out of place in a flick like that.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 06:38:16

I watched Sinister.

Held up to it's name.

Protect the Muska.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 08:47:21

At 10/22/13 07:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I rewatched a Nightmare on Elm Street.

What about Glen's death scene though? That's got to be the most amazing death I've ever seen.

The day after seeing Ginger Snaps 3, I watched Friday The 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter (1984). I liked it a lot better than any of the earlier movies. Perhaps it's because they didn't stay at the shitty camp this time, but also maybe because the characters were more likable. The day after that I watched Black Christmas (1974). Someone once described to me a plot very similar to this movie. In the end I never got to see the killer, but the movie was interesting enough to not feel bothered by that. The next day I watched 2 movies. First I watched Dead Silence (2007), which thrived on cheap jumpscares, though I think it had its moments. And then I watched The Fly (1986). This movie was psychologically haunting, with nice dramatic twists and some scenes being downright gross. I was hoping for the fly to look a little more realistic though, especially its eyes. That would have definitely creeped me out. Then just yesterday I saw The Monster Squad (1987), which wasn't exactly horror, but certainly Halloween related. It was pretty funny. Those kids reminded me of myself when in elementary school. I used to be in a "monster club" myself.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 11:57:14

i think its good that black christmas doesnt show the killer. that makes it scarier.

the last one i watched was se7en, which is more often classified as a thriller than a horror film, but i think it passes as horror. its about a serial killer who bases his murders on the seven deadly sins. the most memorable things are how the victims are killed, the killer in this film uses some of the most painful murdering methods that I've seen, and the ending scene, the ending scene is just amazing.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 18:21:34

I didn't plan this but the last few days have all been about strong female protagonists. Here we go

22. Mama: They took the "I am someone who does not want to be a parent being forced into a parental role" bit a bit far but it was good. I liked that they didn't needlessly add villains. Even the aunt who wanted to take the girls honestly wanted the best for them.

23. Ginger Snaps: I get that as an adult man I'm neither of the core demographics for this movie but it was alright. While the sisters were well written every other character seemed like an afterthought. That was distracting.

24: The Return: Yet another of the "Buffy looks bemused for an hour and a half" collection.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 19:28:17

At 10/12/13 04:34 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
Pet Sematary is great.

One of the best Stephen King movies.

Just watched it tonight. Pretty creepy, but I don't think it's anywhere near The Shining. It felt kinda hokey at certain parts.

Also, SPOILERS, but that main character was a dumbass. Why wouldn't he just stop messing with the graveyard after Gage and the cat came back as little monsters?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 19:35:43

At 10/24/13 07:28 PM, ZJ wrote:

Just watched it tonight. Pretty creepy, but I don't think it's anywhere near The Shining. It felt kinda hokey at certain parts.

Also, SPOILERS, but that main character was a dumbass. Why wouldn't he just stop messing with the graveyard after Gage and the cat came back as little monsters?

It was made very clear that by that point the cheese had slid far and away from that mans cracker. Pet Semetery was creepy as all hell and I respect The Shining for the masterpiece it is but my favorite King movie is still Misery. The hobbling scene was very effective.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 19:55:56

Watched Predator 2, breddy gud.

Now I'm finishing House on Haunted Hill and Nosferatu.

Anyone got an invite to send me so I can get in PassThePopcorn pls?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-24 20:12:41

Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall in Pet Sematary is one of the greatest Stephen King Characters to be realized on screen.

He's absolutely perfect in the role.