00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GMan2006i just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!!

15,758 Views | 279 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 00:24:07

At 10/9/13 11:56 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 10/9/13 11:29 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: American Horror Story:Coven

had the strongest first first episode out of all three seasons. It's shaping up to be one of the scariest, campiest, and best seasons of an already great show. All horror fans should be watching this if you aren't.

GET WATCHIN
I really liked it too.

I just hope they don't start throwing in a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with one another. Like serial killers, nazi doctors, Satan, and aliens.

Let's go for a "less is more" approach this season.

Although, about Precious.

If you ever want to have a career outside of being comic relief, drop some fucking weight already.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 18:29:30

Best part of Maniac Cop 3, especially @0:33. Also, the guy killed Rorschach on the shitter.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 18:38:27

It has to be said. Tucker and Dale vs. evil is awesome. It's an example of everything right that happens when a satire is coming from a place of love. There's no "Here is the thing we are aware we are doing" shtick, the characters are engaging and the gore is just right.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 18:41:29

At 10/10/13 06:38 PM, stafffighter wrote: It has to be said. Tucker and Dale vs. evil is awesome. It's an example of everything right that happens when a satire is coming from a place of love. There's no "Here is the thing we are aware we are doing" shtick, the characters are engaging and the gore is just right.

Really really really funny movie. I love it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 19:59:19

Today I watched a movie called Invasion, from 2005.

It's kind of a found footage movie. Aliens that look like slugs come down in meteors in the woods near a small town. They go in through peoples ears and take control of them. Like in Slither, and Night of the Creeps.

Pretty much the entire movie is filmed from the perspective of a police car dash cam.

This movie wasn't good. I liked the idea, but it was just boring. I was falling asleep while watching this. It didn't help that I had just eaten dinner and was groggy from that.

There's lots of long stretches where absolutely nothing happens. The acting and dialogue is not the worst, but pretty shoddy. Every single special effect looks fake. There's lots of points where the entire screen will flash white, I think from a meteor flying by, and it's obviously done on a computer.

We never even see the town. The entire movie takes place in the woods, which is supposedly near the town.

You hear about what's going on in town on the police radio, though. It's like listening to a schlocky radio drama.

So, if watching somebody drive through the woods for an hour and twenty minutes sounds exciting to you, this is your film. Otherwise, watch something else.

-----

BTW.

The most strange thing about this movie is the end credits.

They're fifteen fucking minutes long.

Why?

There's not fifteen people in the fucking cast.

What the hell did they drag them out to fifteen minutes for?

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 20:02:25

At 10/10/13 07:59 PM, Darthdenim wrote:

BTW.

The most strange thing about this movie is the end credits.

They're fifteen fucking minutes long.

Why?

There's not fifteen people in the fucking cast.

What the hell did they drag them out to fifteen minutes for?

Padding to a cinematic length. Ok, that's way too much quoted text for a simple answer. Help me out here, Joel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4Pzwpde7c

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 20:10:52

watched vampire hunter d. its based on a series of novels which depict a world ruled by vampires, and there are lots of different types of vampires with interesting designs. i liked the new vampire hunter d film better because i felt like it did a better job showing all the different kinds of vampires and their powers. i'd like to read the books but i can't find them anywhere.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 20:19:07

I'm one of the few people who prefers the first Vampire Hunter D over Bloodlust. It had this great atmosphere to it that Bloodlust didn't have. Both great movies, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 21:51:48

At 10/10/13 07:59 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Today I watched a movie called Invasion, from 2005.

http://www.amazon.com/Invasion-Jenny-Dare-Paulin/dp/B000WEVGH0/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1381456151&sr=1-4&keywords=invasion

LoL. Look how much the dvd costs on Amazon. Even that is too much for this movie.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 22:29:35

At 10/10/13 06:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/10/13 06:38 PM, stafffighter wrote: It has to be said. Tucker and Dale vs. evil is awesome. It's an example of everything right that happens when a satire is coming from a place of love. There's no "Here is the thing we are aware we are doing" shtick, the characters are engaging and the gore is just right.
Really really really funny movie. I love it.

Yeah, I'm glad I watched it recently. Very entertaining film. Surprised it doesn't get that much attention.

Also, I watched 1941's The Wolf Man today. I liked it more than I liked Bride of Frankenstein, but I can't say I was super fond of it. Maybe I just don't have the right mindset to enjoy all of these old Universal monster flicks.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 22:36:09

How about Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein? It actually had Glenn Strange, Bela Lugosi, and Lon Chaney. Lou Costello was a funny guy.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 22:55:20

the invisible man is my favorite universal monster film. he causes far more damage than any of the other ones. i still need to watch phantom of the opera though.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 22:57:04

I remember the Universal Monsters toys that had at Burger King during the Halloween season in 1997.

Those things were boss.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-10 23:01:27

At 10/10/13 10:57 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I remember the Universal Monsters toys that had at Burger King during the Halloween season in 1997.

Those things were boss.

I also have vague memories of the glow-in-the-dark Universal Monster toys from White Castle.

Those were from some time in the early 90's.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 03:28:16

Conjuring.......lolololol

Amicum cum volo illi sunt bonum habere

Pro amor Deus, Satanus et populus christianus.

Pater noster qui in infernis

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 08:57:09

In the past couple of days I watched A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988), Grave Encounters (2011) and just yesterday Ringu 2 (1999). Grave Encounters was pretty damn scary, even though their acting in front of the camera made for humorous situations at times. I really enjoyed that one! Ringu 2 was a bore, and Freddy's cool as always.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 15:32:50

I started off watching The Unborn with my gf but it was crap, so I'll probably really start off in a day or so

this initiative is so neat

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 15:46:40

At 10/11/13 03:28 AM, Cynicalx wrote: Conjuring.......lolololol

"lolololol"? I heard that was really well done and scary.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 17:05:55

At 10/10/13 10:55 PM, DeIirium wrote: the invisible man is my favorite universal monster film. he causes far more damage than any of the other ones. i still need to watch phantom of the opera though.

Last year I watched the silent one thanks to this list. http://www.blastr.com/2012/10/nosferatu_13_more_terrify.php It's a good find for people who want to see the roots of horror. Though I would cry foul if you tried to claim one of the ten minute ones as your watch of the day.
As for universal, Frankenstein is my favorite. The atmosphere, the acting, it all drew you in. Frankenstein was also my favorite of that rebooting the universal monsters thing that started with Bram Stockers Dracula and ended with the wolfman. Again the wolfman is late to the game.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 20:14:04

Yes it's a double post but it's two hours later and I just watched my movie of the day. Cry mod foul if it eases your soul.

I just watched the night of the demons remake on scifi. It was trash. I don't hold that against it because the first one was trash. But the kind of trash it was had nothing to do with the original. Aside from being a monster in the house movie and the lipstick through the nipple scene there were no simularities. It's really a shame because I had a whole Shannon Elizabeth still playing highschoolers rant ready to go.
There was clearly some loss seeing the tv cut of this. If you're looking to rent a gore and tits movies I've seen worse.
Also, according to wikipedia the woman who played the Angelia in the first movie and it's sequels (There's two of them and I will find them) is a pet physic now.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 21:24:50

halloween 3 - season of the witch

was kind of weird. the build up took too long but the last 40 minutes or so were good, i especially liked the scene with the kid getting killed, more horror films should have kids getting killed. it was better than any of the other halloween sequels. the theme song is also cool.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 22:11:04

Watched Kevin Smith's Red State today.

SPOILERS

I thought the movie was pretty good. It was a little wild at times and the messages in it came across as pretty blunt and in-your-face, but it told a pretty interesting story. I liked how they had the balls to kill the three boys who would have the "heroes" as it were. It felt really gritty.

I dunno. I'm glad I saw it.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-11 22:13:39

At 10/11/13 10:11 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched Kevin Smith's Red State

I thought that movie was really good. Liked it a lot.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 10:16:53

At 10/11/13 10:11 PM, ZJ wrote: I thought the movie was pretty good.

I was just reading how Kevin Smith was one of the many people Fred Phelps hated in a deleted article from Wikipedia. Funny coincidence, I guess.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 13:28:18

Today I watched The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll.

This is Hammer's take on The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll, and Mr. Hyde.

I thought this was quite good. Not the best I've seen from Hammer, but not bad at all.

If you go into this expecting something like Horror of Dracula, and Curse of Frankenstein, you may be disappointed.

Instead of Mr. Hyde being an ugly and unsavory beast who beats people with a cane, in this film he is handsome, suave, and confident.

Nobody even dies until near the end of the movie.

Paul Massie is very good as both Jekyll and Hyde. I didn't even realize they were both the same actor until later on in the movie.

Christopher Lee is great as Jekyll's mooching "friend." There is also a small role for a young Oliver Reed.

If you like Hammer, check it out.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 16:07:58

FINALLY got through all of Pet Sematary without sleeping yesterday. I watched Pet Semeatary last year for the 31 days of horror challenge, but fell asleep. Not because it was bad (and it certainly isn't) but because I watched it after I ate. Tackled it this year it leads up to the hype. The whole movie was really amazing.

Today, I watched V/H/S and it took me awhile to get used to it, but I really liked it too. Some of the stories were REALLY good (the last one and the alien one) while the rest were still pretty good.

Going to also watch The Awakening.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 16:34:27

At 10/12/13 04:07 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: I watched Pet Semeatary last year for the 31 days of horror challenge, but fell asleep. Not because it was bad (and it certainly isn't) but because I watched it after I ate. Tackled it this year it leads up to the hype. The whole movie was really amazing.

Pet Sematary is great.

One of the best Stephen King movies.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 21:37:57

Watched Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Pretty silly movie, but I guess that was the point of it. At least it tried to be funny without resorting to lame reference after reference like the Scary Movie franchise.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 23:11:31

Killer Clowns from Outerspace IS what you need to watch if you love campy moves.

It prides itself on being campy.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2013!!! 2013-10-12 23:34:24

I took a risk and watched another 80's remake on scifi, fright night. This one I liked. It honored the original while being it's own beast. They adapted the the material but stayed true in spirit. The change of location was a predictable if effective way of replicating the isolation in our wifi soaked world. The dirty sly Jerry was more realistic than the more traditional romantic vampire. Plus I love that they even gave a nod to fright night 2 having Peter mentally block the attack from when he was younger. I didn't like that they transplanted so much of the nerdiness into Ed to make Charlie more of a pure hero. I'm all for a pure hero but that was unnecessary. Singular quibble aside, awesome flick.

BBS Signature