00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

OddlerPro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Robot Day & Reddit Blackout

17,039 Views | 51 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-04 13:28:01

At 7/4/15 12:36 PM, octochan-animation wrote:
At 7/3/15 12:02 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: The real question is who actually uses the NG sub Reddit? Who cares Reddit is shit anyways fix the posting interface to something like a forum.
Lots of people use the subreddit to generate more traffic towards their content or ng page. People also go there who are interested in what people are making. People also post when big videos by creators like yotam post something so everyone can see them. Its just like r/art but for ng content only.

And I like their posting interface :'(

The Reddit thread system is a mess its like a web when I see a discussion then it breaks off into multiple ones and no one really uses the NG sub Reddit.

At 7/3/15 01:37 PM, NekoMika wrote: Reddit has been being run poorly for a good while now

Do you even know what you're talking about?

and if the drama following Zoe Quinn and Anita Saraskeetin from last year are anything to go by, some of the admins will blackmail, abuse, and flatout not give a shit about moderators if they suddenly decide they do not like them.

"Saraskeetin" lmfao you can't even spell Sarkeesian correctly!

Hmmm… I wonder why a paid employee wouldn't give extra attention to a moderator who leads an angry mass of angsty teen gamers trying to use the website as a platform to harass a small number of activists with different opinions about video games.

As for the admin who was removed, from what little I read, it seems to have stemmed from her displaying incredibly bad behavior in one of the recent AMAs by being racist to the point of demoting the person, not been confirmed yet though. However, if it is true, it shows the further disconnect between the admins, moderators, and even users. Hopefully the drama is over soon, seems most of the subreddits I visit are not affected which is interesting (mostly lgbt, neko, and some subreddits in the gaming community.)

That is not even remotely true.

The reason for Victoria Taylor being fired has not been made public. However, administrators have publicly stated that it had nothing to do with her handling of the Rev Jesse Jackson interview. Speculation from exemployees and friends of insiders holds that it has something to do with an administration change to commercialize the more popular parts of the website. This view is supported by the continuing drive to monetize the site.

Just an 02er.

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-04 23:23:55

At 7/4/15 04:40 PM, Profanity wrote: Hmmm… I wonder why a paid employee wouldn't give extra attention to a moderator who leads an angry mass of angsty teen gamers trying to use the website as a platform to harass a small number of activists with different opinions about video games.

I have remotely no idea why you would even consider supporting Anita Sarkeesian. Are you one of those self-hating males who like to white knight on Twitter and post on /r/ShitRedditSays?

fu

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-05 06:38:01

At 7/4/15 12:57 PM, MindChamber wrote: I feel so old trying to read all that reddit drama, and trying to figure out exactly what happened.. or how anyone could enjoy reading ANYTHING on that site with its horrible /b/ extensions and branching comment format.

reddit is a pretty horrible and un-intuitive site.. and it baffles me when people say NG is hard to navigate.

If there was a MindChamber Church, I'd go light a candle there right now. Amen.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-05 09:53:34

At 7/5/15 02:01 AM, SansNumbers wrote:
At 7/4/15 11:23 PM, StalkerGuy wrote: I have remotely no idea why you would even consider supporting Anita Sarkeesian. Are you one of those self-hating males who like to white knight on Twitter and post on /r/ShitRedditSays?
I have never spoken about or mentioned the name of Anita Sarkeesian until just now, so here's me breaking the silence:

I believe that people should have the right to say what they wanna say without being subject to rape threats. I had negative fucks to give about the drama surrounding Anita Sarkeesian because it just seemed like the internet piled on some random woman with controversial opinions about video games, and the players of said video games have a very unfortunate vocal minority of scumbag dickheads.

Unfortunately it seems as though my curiosity has gotten the better of me so I need to ask: What has she done other than peaceably express her perspective on a (fairly minor) issue that could justify the amount of backlash she gets? Is she the secret leader of the Westboro Baptist Church?

I actually had to login to respond to this. Both sides of this issue are so goshdarn retarded. I wish that the anti feminists and the neo feminists would just die out already. The worst part is that neither side ever admits to any fault with their own actions and keeps snowballing the issue that isn't even an issue. Men and women are not equal. Because we're not the same. Not because one is 'better' than the other, but because there are different needs being tended to. Please just let the issue die out here in this creative forum we have here.

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 00:37:48

Ooh yeah. I've got my submission.

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 07:17:26

At 7/3/15 03:20 PM, deathink wrote: I had two real bad experiences with reddit.

1. I was being told by mods that I should stop posting art to Newgrounds and use their sister site instead. At first they were telling me why it would be so much better for me if I did, I never replied, then it quickly became them bashing NG and finally (with out getting hostile) I said "it's my art, I choose what public forum to display it in and I am never going to upload to your site". The next day I was banned globally across the site. Even though I had a link karma of OVER 40k, and a comment karma over 15k. Also, I didn't break there BS 10% rule

2. I posted art in one of the sub reddits, and a mod banned me and told me he would unban me from the sub if I drew him his new icon. You are going to use a sub reddit to extort free art from people?!?! I didn't BTW.

Holy shit that is indeed a bad experience. SRD would snap that shit right up if you were allowed to post there.
It seems that Reddit's running downhill more recently, ever since Pao took the reins. Although the recent 'blackout' (which lasted hardly a day) was caused by problems dating much before Pao's time.

Fun quote:

"You'll have to snatch this position from my cold dead hands!" - Ellen Pao

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 08:22:58

@TomFulp why is it earlier this year, shouldn't it happen in 18th July?

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 10:14:07

At 7/6/15 08:22 AM, Deshiel wrote: @TomFulp why is it earlier this year, shouldn't it happen in 18th July?

It has always been July 10th... Unless we messed it up a few years. @MindChamber originally picked the date because it's Tesla's birthday.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 10:50:52

At 7/3/15 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Friday, July 10th is Robot Day on NG and we'll be celebrating with movies, games, art and music themed around ROBOTS! Everyone is invited to make something and participate!

Had no idea that Robot Day existed, but our first game on NG Smorball has plenty of robots! Is there anything we need to do to have Smorball seen on Robot Day?

(alright, back to discussions of reddit)

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 10:53:53

At 7/6/15 10:50 AM, tiltfactor wrote:
At 7/3/15 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Friday, July 10th is Robot Day on NG and we'll be celebrating with movies, games, art and music themed around ROBOTS! Everyone is invited to make something and participate!
Had no idea that Robot Day existed, but our first game on NG Smorball has plenty of robots! Is there anything we need to do to have Smorball seen on Robot Day?

(alright, back to discussions of reddit)

I could include it in the collection - up for changing one of the tags to robotday2015? Maybe the "crowd" tag?

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 11:16:18

At 7/3/15 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I could include it in the collection - up for changing one of the tags to robotday2015? Maybe the "crowd" tag?

Including in the collection would be great! Tag has been changed.

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 11:21:17

At 7/6/15 10:14 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/6/15 08:22 AM, Deshiel wrote: @TomFulp why is it earlier this year, shouldn't it happen in 18th July?
It has always been July 10th... Unless we messed it up a few years. @MindChamber originally picked the date because it's Tesla's birthday.

Last year got me confused cuz everyone celebrated it in 18th.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 11:26:11

At 7/6/15 11:21 AM, Deshiel wrote:
At 7/6/15 10:14 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Last year got me confused cuz everyone celebrated it in 18th.

Oh crap you're right, I forget what happened there.

BBS Signature

Created a free little narrated intro in case anybody wanted something like that. Like I said, not a grand contribution but it's something.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 16:05:30

My music for robot day is finished! But I will upload it in july 10!

Anyone looking for some music for your robot day entry? PM me and you can have it there :)
I will let ya take a peek via betatesting.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-06 20:34:00

For past reference check out 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010.

We are expecting some AMAZING robot art in particular this year.

I've been abusing your bandwidth since 911 and now we're sucking that robot dick that is going to replace me? Lets do it!

I for one welcome our new robot over lords.

Robot Day & Reddit Blackout

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-07 00:28:53

Let me be the first to say...

Happy 20th!

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-07 07:03:27

First it was Furaffinity being cannibalized by IMVU.

Then it was Neopets being let off its chain by Jumpstart.

punny...

Glad to hear that Reddit is dying in its own tub of shit. I only ever visited the place once and the navigation was horrible. It comes to no surprise to me that the administration staff was equally terrible; if a site's design screams "outdated" to you, expect the worst from the staff running it. How long do you suppose before it gets sold to Yahoo?

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-07 11:03:42

I want Fan Art Challenge BACK!!!

More of my art stuff: LINK

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-08 07:07:24

At 7/3/15 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Friday, July 10th is Robot Day on NG and we'll be celebrating with movies, games, art and music themed around ROBOTS! Everyone is invited to make something and participate

Well here's mine for Robot Day :)
BOSS IMCOMING...

Ta-da!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day & Reddit Blackout 2015-07-08 11:03:38

Here's my contribution to the Robot Day!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/660409

Constructive feedback is welcome :D

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." Shigeru Miyamoto