00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Construct "Deception" Jam

44,189 Views | 149 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 10:01:08

Today marks the launch of our third Construct 2 Jam!

Construct 2 is game making software for Windows that allows you to create games without prior programming experience, then deploy them to the web as HTML5, or to Wii U, iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and more! This is a great opportunity for aspiring game developers to make their first game or for existing devs to try out / make a new game with Construct 2.

Our first Construct Jam had a touch theme and the second was based on The Future: 2030.

The theme

The theme of this game jam is Deception. Interpret this theme how you want!

What we’re looking for

We’re looking for creativity on the theme, fun game play and originality. Bonus points if your game is touch enabled so it will work on mobile devices!

There are prizes from Scirra!

First Place

- Xbox one console
- One Xbox one game
- Scirra Piggy badge
- Scirra stickers
- 1x Construct 2 Business License
- Flying monkey

2nd to 5th Place

- 1x Construct 2 Business License
- Scirra Piggy badge
- Scirra stickers

15 runner ups

- $10 Scirra Store voucher

1 runner up runner up

- Plastic carrot

How to enter

Upload your game by June 26th and tag it with construct2 and deceptionjam.

Additional rules and info

1. Closing date for the competition is June 26th, 2015 at 5pm GMT+0.

2. Xbox prize will be delivered via Amazon. If Amazon are unable to deliver to winners country, winner must nominate an alternative online merchant who can deliver at a similar price. Xbox prize is for 1x 500GB console. Chosen Xbox game cannot exceed $85 USD in value

3. Other prizes are not exchangeable and are non transferable.

4. Free Edition users are permitted to enter and win prizes!

5. For games to be considered, they must be uploaded by the close date and tagged “construct2” and “deceptionjam” on Newgrounds.

6. All games must be made in Construct 2!

7. Please allow ample time after competition closing date to allow judging to complete, it can be a lengthy process.

8. No maximum entries per user.

9. Collaborative entries permitted, but if you win a prize it will only be dispatched to one name and address and cannot be split up. It is up to the named individual to distribute the prizes themselves.

10. You cannot use any games you already made that have been published anywhere previously.

11. Scirra store vouchers are denominated in GBP. Vouchers issued will be valued at £6.50 each which at the time of writing is equivalent to $10 USD.

Good luck!

We're excited to see what everyone makes!

If you've never tried Construct 2, check out the tutorials.

For another great example of Construct 2's potential, check out The Next Penelope on Steam!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 10:50:56

Wow! Cool! Idk if I can enter but maybe I will!

BBS Signature

Darn! I can't hear that word combined with a game without thinking of the brilliant "Depict1"
I hope we will see some similar games as a result of this :D

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 10:52:22

At 5/22/15 10:01 AM, TomFulp wrote: - Flying monkey

A Flying monkey? What?

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 11:02:37

Good to see Construct 2 contests coming up. :) Hopefully more and more people will be using this engine in the future. ^_^

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 12:38:22

This sounds cool. I tried partnering up with a friend to make something for the last construct 2 jam, but never got passed the concept stage until earlier this year when we decided to revisit it. We even got a prototype working! But then we found out that the free version of Construct 2 was way too limited for what we were wanting to do, so we decided to switch development of it over to Unity. We haven't gotten anything else done on it yet 'cause we've all been busy, but everything's in place to where we can get started when we get the time. Just thought I'd share since I don't think I've mentioned it anywhere else ;3

Also I would consider making something for this, but I'm pretty busy right now. Who knows though, maybe I can learn Construct 2 and manage to put together a little game for it by the deadline.

Also, I'm surprised NATA starting on the 25th hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet. It shows up on the calendar, but that's the only place I've seen it. I think it's odd that it would just sneak up like that, usually there's a crowdfunding campaign first, right? I remember you said NATA would start in June this year, and I was expecting late June for some reason, so seeing the calendar say it's so close was a bit of a shock.

Construct

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 13:19:55

At 5/22/15 10:01 AM, TomFulp wrote:
1 runner up runner up

- Plastic carrot

Zachy wanty

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 15:40:43

Some pretty solid prizes in this jam! And 21 spots!! That plastic carrot might get plenty of competition...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 15:46:40

"Deception", huh. So we should make a game that's...more than meets the eye?

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 16:06:16

Woah, this one seems really cool. Goodluck to everyone who enters. I love playing the games that come out of these things.

I live stream my animations on twitch, you could probobly learn something. http://twitch.tv/retrosleep

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 17:59:40

At 5/22/15 10:01 AM, TomFulp wrote: The theme of this game jam is Deception. Interpret this theme how you want!

Get ready for a bunch of stupid "unfair mario" clones.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 19:07:12

I would really like to enter!

Construct

█   ██  ███ ███ █ █ █

█   █▄█ █▄█ █▄█ █▄█ ▀

███ █▄█   █   █   █ █

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 19:56:39

This looks really cool but man is that a short deadline. Just a little over 1 month.
Maybe I'll stop being lazy and give it a try though.
G'luck to everyone.

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-22 20:11:18

Ok I'm in!

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 02:53:06

those are some sweet prizes lol

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 03:59:29

hhhmmmmmm

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 07:29:35

I have one cool idea. Count me in!

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 12:08:55

The problem with 'Deception' as a theme is when you haven't experience something straight away, you know you're going to be deceived at some point, and thus; removes any actual twist.

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 19:05:48

sounds interesting!

too bad that im horrible in actionscripting/games/stuff.

best of luck to the contestants!

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 19:12:55

At 5/23/15 07:05 PM, chris-the-stick2 wrote: too bad that im horrible in actionscripting/games/stuff.

Construct doesn't have any scripting unless you make your own plugins.

Construct is basically pick and choose images, sounds, events and actions.

No programming skills needed.

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-23 19:16:49

so many cool game making softwares...

i need to try them all and figure out which one is the most dummy proof

the plastic carrot thing made me laugh a bit, Tom

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-25 00:20:00

At 5/24/15 11:58 PM, ZeroDown wrote:
At 5/23/15 08:34 PM, HomicidalDragon wrote: the plastic carrot thing made me laugh a bit, Tom
OMG I hope I win a plastic carrot

@tomfulp

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-25 08:39:10

At 5/24/15 05:20 AM, Vixuzar wrote: Just wanted to ask.
Can we use sprites from video games like mario, metal slug and such?
Not that i'm going to use them. i'm just curios because in stencyl jam we weren't allowed to do that.

Sprites from other games aren't allowed - original art is greatly preferred, or free art resources that you have permission to use! Please credit the source if the art isn't made specifically for the game.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-25 17:41:41

Wow, this Sounds Great! Although, I won't be Able to Participate because I won't be Here....Oh Well. I'm Sure I'll have a Great Time Viewing the Entries when I get Back!

My latest art :P

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-25 18:20:56

Finally, a great excuse to work on a Construct 2 project this month!
Thanks, Tom, I could use that license.

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-26 14:05:21

Nice job splitting up the Latest News: thing, to do more than one thread!
I'm sure NATA will be another great event this year. NG's producers seem saturated with projects to choose from! Not many websites celebrate 2 decades of existence!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-26 17:21:21

gonna try my hand at my first jam. why not right just something to keep the mind freash

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-28 12:07:11

I am going to put that plastic carrot right up on the shelf with all my other plastic vegetable trophies! Perhaps right next to the plastic zucchini.

Response to Construct "Deception" Jam 2015-05-28 17:08:39

I'm definitely in !

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." Shigeru Miyamoto