00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lbkush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Discover and Follow New People!

18,160 Views | 42 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 14:47:21

Thank you everyone who came out and said "hi" at Pax East! There's a bunch of pictures on the Behemoth Flickr.

This week we expanded the "Brand Spankin' New" boxes in the games, movies and art hubs to have four rows, so there is less chance you'll miss new stuff. Also means more low-scoring stuff with high visibility. You cool with that?

We also expanded the Art Browse page to have seven rows instead of four. A front page archive is coming too!

Yesterday I announced the upcoming Construct 2 Jam but that post also includes some Throwback Thursday so don't miss it.

Today is Follow Friday and once again I'll emphasize the importance of following artists you like on NG! If you see something you like, click the hearts next to the authors' names in the credits to receive updates whenever they do something new.

Movies

vladjuk was featured in a previous Follow Friday but even -I- forgot to follow him and he's kept making fun stuff since. His chicken movie has a horrible score but it's totally charming.

rambojoe released a Double Dragon movie that deserves more views than it has gotten so far:

Way more people should be following rambojoe, he has tons of funny movies. Remember Contra Rampage?

Wolfblut has a great Spanish-language (with subtitles) series about a blue werewolf.

AnimatedJames has launched a really ambitious pilot for a new series:

Hoping he releases full episodes on NG in the future!

Pkmn2 organized a fun collab!

Like Megaman, or just straight up action animations? Check out the latest from wierdbros!

JAFZ3D started the Pico Day celebrating a bit early with his release of a Cathode Raybots movie:

Be sure to stop in on April 26th for Pico Day!

Games

0x6a61686e made a compelling puzzler that took me a minute to figure out. You should definitely give it a shot, it has a cool vibe. High scores and medals might give it a boost on NG.

Check out his other games too!

While we're on a puzzle kick, logicalcell made one too, with a great difficulty curve to teach you how it works:

And woah, logicalcell just published a new one that is also quite clever!

Hillbridge released a loveable fishing game:

Wonder what Hillbridge will make next? Follow and find out!

Art

HugoVRB has some great 3D models and character designs on his page. Here's his take on Kratos from God of War this week:

TheUnderiousguy is starting a web comic called "Danger City", check out his characters!

poliip's art really pops.

Music

theeketel unleased some wild dubstep this week.

Lots of great songs from the Art Inspired Music Contest!

Phonometrologist was inspired by TheHeartGrinder.

popraz was inspired by 5urface.

LunyAlex was inspired by Ravish261.

I suppose that will wrap things up for this Friday. Oh, DailyToons are back!

Did you see anything on NG this week that you think needs sharing?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 15:16:27

At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: 0x6a61686e made a compelling puzzler that took me a minute to figure out. You should definitely give it a shot, it has a cool vibe. High scores and medals might give it a boost on NG.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/637357

^Just found out about this guy yesterday. He apparently lives really close to me, but I haven't the slightest clue who he is :|

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 15:19:12

I'm all for more exposure for low scoring stuff. NG needs to be the place where new people can be seen and heard, and where feedback is plentiful for beginners. Hashtag portal days.

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 15:23:35

I've been following a lot more people lately. It really is a great way to know when good stuff comes out.

As for stuff that needs more love, this was pretty good and certainly shows it had a lot of effort put into it, but unfortunately didn't get a lot of exposure:

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 15:28:17

Whoa.

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 15:34:26

At 4/18/14 03:23 PM, artistunknown wrote: As for stuff that needs more love, this was pretty good and certainly shows it had a lot of effort put into it, but unfortunately didn't get a lot of exposure:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/637466

I'll pop it up on the front page!

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 15:40:27

At 4/18/14 03:28 PM, LunyAlex wrote: Whoa.

Good job, you deserved the mention. Unfortunately, I can't follow you twice, since I'm already a follower :3

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 16:04:03

At 4/18/14 03:19 PM, MCSMstudios wrote: I'm all for more exposure for low scoring stuff. NG needs to be the place where new people can be seen and heard, and where feedback is plentiful for beginners. Hashtag portal days.

that was never really the case , i think its still pretty much the same as before, people who were in NG before get more exposure . and its most in the art and animation deparment.atleast thats how ive seen it for a decade now.

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 16:42:07

At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: There's a bunch of pictures on the Behemoth Flickr.

Never thought I'd see the day where Stamper would have so much hair on his head!

Discover and Follow New People!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 16:46:32

frontpage artchive gonn' be dope! SEE WUT I DID

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 17:03:25

At 4/18/14 04:46 PM, sucho wrote: frontpage artchive gonn' be dope! SEE WUT I DID

OMG WE SHOULD TOTALLY CALL IT THAT!

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 17:12:18

At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:

So i had a rental agreement with it but then it went wild?

Clearly you're aware of things that i am not, thanks Tom :3

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 17:34:26

fishy waters was a pretty nice game, a super nice game to smoke bud to.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 22:10:07

@Phonometrologist getting a shout out <3

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-18 23:20:12

DAILY TOONS !!!

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 02:09:16

At 4/18/14 04:04 PM, ajiman wrote:
At 4/18/14 03:19 PM, MCSMstudios wrote: I'm all for more exposure for low scoring stuff. NG needs to be the place where new people can be seen and heard, and where feedback is plentiful for beginners. Hashtag portal days.
that was never really the case , i think its still pretty much the same as before, people who were in NG before get more exposure . and its most in the art and animation deparment.atleast thats how ive seen it for a decade now.

I may just be a bit nostalgic, but when I started out here, about a decade ago, pretty much anything submitted to the portal got 1000+ views and 10ish reviews, even if it wasn't very good. Looking at flashes now, I'm seeing about 300 views and 2ish reviews. Not an enormous difference but a signifigant one. Maybe there are fewer new popular artists because they aren't getting the feedback, so they don't stick around until they're good. At any rate, I'd like to see if there's a statistical basis for my thoughts on the matter, but I'm way too lazy to research it.

Also, kudos to Tom for acting personally to expose new guys.

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 03:35:11

Cool But why is the store closed again

Being a game maker is My ambition And 'tis the starting !!!!!!

Games|Animation|Music|Art

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 07:34:27

At 4/18/14 03:16 PM, Emrox wrote:
At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: 0x6a61686e made a compelling puzzler that took me a minute to figure out. You should definitely give it a shot, it has a cool vibe. High scores and medals might give it a boost on NG.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/637357
^Just found out about this guy yesterday. He apparently lives really close to me, but I haven't the slightest clue who he is :|

A guy named Raphaello is new here too hes a fan of me and is working on a song he PMed me bouth that to help him!
He said he would upload it today...

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 10:19:48

Here's the latest thing I've favorited. It's my favorite of the month too.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 12:15:55

At 4/18/14 10:10 PM, johnfn wrote: @Phonometrologist getting a shout out <3

Wow..very cool! Definitely did not foresee the type of responses when working on the project. Made my day :)

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 14:48:38

At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thank you everyone who came out and said "hi" at Pax East! There's a bunch of pictures on the Behemoth Flickr.

Hi Tom

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 15:56:19

amazing movies and games in this month.... im excited about this!

also yes, pico day is near....
will robot day also occur on the 26th?

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-19 21:27:49

At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: A front page archive is coming too!

A archive of ALL frontpaged artwork?!... from the very start!?

sounds like im out of a job :3

Meow <3

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-20 08:17:39

Hey Tom, wouldn't it be cool if we had a button that would send people to a random submission? Or maybe 4 buttons in one column; one for each portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-20 09:18:43

At 4/18/14 05:12 PM, theeketel wrote:
At 4/18/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
So i had a rental agreement with it but then it went wild?

Clearly you're aware of things that i am not, thanks Tom :3

Whoops, I should fix that. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-20 09:23:52

At 4/19/14 04:21 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Great stuff! I'm loving it! Here's some more awesome flashes that were overlooked:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/637246
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/637236
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/637193

I'll give them all a whirl on FP.

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-20 09:24:50

At 4/19/14 03:56 PM, chris-the-stick2 wrote: amazing movies and games in this month.... im excited about this!

also yes, pico day is near....
will robot day also occur on the 26th?

Robot Day would be in July if we do it this year, which I imagine we will.

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-20 09:26:27

At 4/20/14 08:17 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Hey Tom, wouldn't it be cool if we had a button that would send people to a random submission? Or maybe 4 buttons in one column; one for each portal.

We used to have that for the Flash Portal, the URL might even still work if I dug it up... We do need to revisit that, it's a fun button to have. I really want to have more cool things in the individual hubs, for more incentive to visit them regularly. Also hoping to have individual daily awards for all four hubs.

BBS Signature

Response to Discover and Follow New People! 2014-04-20 10:24:08

At 4/20/14 09:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'll give them all a whirl on FP.

That would mean the whirld to me :3

At 4/20/14 09:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: We used to have that for the Flash Portal, the URL might even still work if I dug it up... We do need to revisit that, it's a fun button to have. I really want to have more cool things in the individual hubs, for more incentive to visit them regularly. Also hoping to have individual daily awards for all four hubs.

Fantastic! I can't wait for all of these things to actually happen.

BBS Signature